Monday, September 28, 2009

The Naked Truth










Anthony Charles Williams II, better known as Gospel Singer Tonex.

I remember being introduced to Tonex at a time, when I literally had given up on life. Being from California, I often heard of his father the late, Dr. Anthony Williams, who was the Senior Pastor and District Elder in the Truth Apostolic Community Church in suburban Spring Valley, CA. However, since I resided in Los Angeles, Spring Valley was not around the corner, thus, I never got a chance to attend his service.

Nonetheless, people often raved about his son who later became known as Tonex. One of his first singles I heard was “Personal Jesus”. From that single alone, I was caught up in his rapture. Then came other favorites such as “To Know You Lord”, “Restoration”, “Since Jesus Came’, and “God Has Not Forgot”.

However, when I heard his song “Make Me Over”, I literally owed my life to him. The song pierced my soul like none other. He kept me alive a many a day. Later in life, I moved to Baltimore, MD, and one day while driving home I was listening to one of my favorite radio stations, Heaven 1580. This particular day, this young lady requested “Make Me Over” to help ease her pain and deal with the hurdles that life seemed to be throwing her way. Just so happen Tonex was coming to town that evening to perform at Bishop Thomas, New Psalmist Baptist Church, located in Baltimore, Maryland. At this point I had never seen Tonex live.

The minute Tonex opened his mouth just too even hum, I became mesmerized. I had never seen a man sing with little effort, yet, with so much intensity, sincerity and conviction. He hit notes that literally would make you shed a tear. His praise and worship was like none other. That particular night I was just in awe. I couldn’t understand how this thin, petite man could sing and praise as if he had this abundance of joy despite all the many things people said about him.

From his artsy, eccentric ways, mannerisms, eye catching hairstyles, looks and stares he still sang for the Lord as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

I try my best to not be so judgmental, yet, I fall short ever time. I looked at him, and questioned how he endures the criticism, backlash, that seems to plague his career. Yet, somehow he still keeps pressing on. Despite his sexuality, or just being OUT THE BOX, I thank you Tonex for just being you but more importantly reminding me that God can continue to MAKE ME OVER!

Hearing your live version of Make me Over, makes me shed another tear!

No comments:

Post a Comment